Mikumi National Park is the third largest park located in the southern part of Tanzania. It is less crowded and more affordable compared to Serengeti National Park. Additionally, this park is the closest to Dar es Salaam, the capital city of Tanzania, than any other park in Tanzania (besides Sadaani National Park.)
Mikumi National Park hosts a big variety of mammals, reptiles, and over 300 species of birds. Animals that are frequently seen in Mikumi National Park include lions, buffaloes, giraffes, zebras, elephants, and many more. Additionally, you will be able to view more than 300 bird species and a variety of plants.
At Mikumi National park, you will stay at comfortable lodges inside or outside the park. You can also stay at luxury hotels a few miles outside the park if you wish to.
WHY MIKUMI? (and NOT Serengeti or Ngorongoro):
- Less crowded with Tourists
- More affordable
- It is only a five hours drive from Dar Es Salaam with a nice view
- Budget-friendly accommodations can be found along the main road in the town
Udzungwa National Park is a tropical rainforest in the mountains and is the perfect destination for beautiful nature hikes after your safari. Hike to the waterfalls and explore the many reptiles and monkeys that call the park their home. The most popular route is the same falls trail that heads through many forest zones to some water which drops over 170meters. The first two have splash pools you can swim in providing a refreshing experience the herd has the longest fall.
Ruaha National Park situated in Tanzania is one of the largest parks in East Africa. Known for its rich flora and fauna, it's also home to huge elephant populations, with an estimated 12,000 elephants migrating through the greater Ruaha ecosystem each year. With its untouched nature, Ruaha National Park remains one of the most exciting National parks in Tanzania. Wildlife is concentrated along the Great Ruaha River that is the heart of the wildlife in the park. The Shores of Great Ruaha River is the permanent hunting ground for lions, leopards, Jackal, Hyenas, and African wild dogs.
Do you wish to go to Zanzibar after the Safari?
After your Safari/Tour, you can relax on one of the many beaches in Zanzibar. Unlike other beaches, Zanzibar has clear, blue waves and powdery, white-sand beaches. CNN Article about Nungwi Beach
Our professional English speaking guides will make your experience in Tanzania one that you'll never forget
6 DAYS 5 NIGHTS: SOUTHERN PARKS - (MIKUMI, UDZUNGWA AND RUAHA NATIONAL PARKS)
DAY 1: Dar es salaam - Mikumi
You will be picked up from the hotel/airport in Dar es salaam at 6:00 AM
You will start a 5 to 6 hours trip to Mikumi National Park, via Morogoro town
You will stop for lunch in Morogoro town on the way to Mikumi
Soon after arriving in Mikumi, you will start an evening game drive until sunset
Then you will have an overnight stay at Camp Bastian (or similar)
Day 2: Mikumi & Masai Village Tour
- You will start the Game Drive at 6:30 AM morning with the bush breakfast
- After breakfast, we will continue with the game drive until lunchtime
- You will get your lunch at Mikumi small town at around 1:00 PM
- After lunch, you will go to visit the Masai village, where you will be able to see Maasai people and their culture
- Late in the evening, we will drop you off at Camp Bastian Mikumi for dinner and an overnight stay.
Day 3: Udzungwa/ Iringa Town
- We will pick you up from Camp Bastian Mikumi at 7:00 AM and drive for about 90 minutes to Udzungwa Mountains National Park.
- We will check-in at Udzungwa and do the hiking for about 3 hours, here you will experience a great view on the mountain tops overlooking a big sugar cane plantation. You will view different medicinal plants and different monkey species during your trek as well.
- After the hiking, you will start to drive to Iringa town with our lunch packed
- We will take our lunch on the way, and will get to Iringa town in the evening and stay at Iringa Sunset/Hilltop Hotel
Day 4: Ruaha National Park
- You will be picked up from your Hotel in Iringa after you have got your breakfast at 6:30 AM
- We will then drive to Ruaha National Park main Gate, where we will check-in and start the game drive at 10:00 AM
- You will get your lunch inside the park while watching different kinds of animals like rare antelopes, cats (lions, leopards, etc), birds
species and plant species.
- You will stay overnight at the Ruaha Hilltop Lodge (or similar) inside the camp
Day 5: Ruaha/ back to Mikumi
- You will do a half-day safari in Ruaha National park and thereafter, we will Drive to Mikumi where you will spend your night.
Day 6: Departure
- We will drive back to Dar es salaam soon after we get our breakfast at 6:00 AM
- We will drop you off at the hotel/port/ airport.
Private tour for you and your group
Lunch and refreshments
English speaking driver/guide
Hotel drop-off/pick up in Dar Es Salaam
5-nights hotel stay in the parks
Round-trip shared transfers
Entry/Admission - Mikumi National Park
Package does NOT include
Items of personal nature (Alcohol drinks, cigarettes, phone calls)
Visa, flight or ferry fees,
Departure tax (If any)
Any other activities not detailed on this itinerary
*Total Cost - 1 traveler or more than 6 travelers - contact us for the price
Mid-range lodge (double rooms):
2 people 1450 USD pp | 4 people 1150 USD pp
6 people or more 1050 USD pp
Mid-range lodges include - Tan-Swiss Lodge & Campsite, Camp Bastian Mikumi, or similar
- A reservation requires a deposit of 20% of the total price
- The rest of the payment should be paid 7 days before the tour date
- The deposit is fully refundable if the booking is canceled up to 15 days before the tour date
For Payments, Payments Arrangements, etc - Please click here